Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dashed Dreams

I had the good fortune of finding a group to attend the Oakland Athletics vs. Florida Marlins game last night. Now, as a Philadelphia Phillies fan, I'm rather spoiled when it comes to winning streaks, amazing pitching feats, and having some of the most ridiculously dedicated fans. However, over the past year I have come to realize that not all fans are created equal, and some are just a little bit better than others. Sure, it's easy to root for the Phillies when they win a World Series in 2008. Sure, it's easy to root for the Dodgers when they're rolling in moo-lah and actually playing baseball. Sure, it's easy to root for the Giants just because everyone else is and because they won a World Series in 2010. It is NOT easy to root for a team whose best player bats average at very best. It is NOT easy to root for a team that cannot fill their own ballpark. It is NOT easy to root for the Oakland A's.
I have a lot of respect for A's fans (and that's not simply because my boyfriend is one). Game after game, there are those few fans who show up to the games, who buy their A's gear, who root for them regardless of a losing streak (which happens more often than not). While most Bay Area residents jump  on the Giants bandwagon, these true baseball fans remain with their band of misfits, secretly hoping for a miracle. Do I think the A's will end the season with a winning record? No. Do I hope something miraculous happens and I see them play against my Phillies in the World Series? Absolutely.
Having been spoiled with Dodger Stadium growing up, the Coliseum looks like a concrete eyesore and attracts only a few fans per game. Growing up a Dodgers fan, I got used to people arriving late and leaving early (there is traffic!!!). But at the Coliseum- it was the bottom of the 9th, the A's were losing to the Marlins 3-0, with 2 outs. And no one was leaving. Chants of "Let's Go Oakland" broke out, people cheered, and people hoped. Now, I'm an optimistic fan, but when you're down to your final out and need multiple runs, even I lose faith. THAT is the Oakland difference. As terrible or as disappointing as the team may be, they still have a solid fan base that remains true to the "green collar baseball" and rejects the (repulsive) orange and black.
I tip my hat to you, true Oakland A's fans. And I'll be rooting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment