Sunday, June 26, 2011

In Constant Sorrow

I apologize for the discontinuities and random assortment of thoughts that follow, but I feel they are justified at 12:30am. I just returned home from working at the Alison Krauss & Union Station concert at the UC Berkeley Greek Theater. Now, those that are my friends know that I enjoy country music quite a bit, so being able to see Alison Krauss while making money was the best way I could've spent this Saturday evening. While she is a superb singer and a fantastic entertainer, her concert disappointed me in that she failed to perform "Whiskey Lullaby", one of country music's most tear-worthy songs. Amidst the disappointment, the concert was saved by Union Station's performance of "In Constant Sorrow" from one of my favorite films: O Brother, Where Art Thou? If you've never seen this film, or heard the Soggy Bottom Boys version of the song, you need to rethink your priorities. For your viewing pleasure:


Unfortunately, my sister informed me that George Clooney did NOT sing "In Constant Sorrow" and instead chose to give his singing role to Union Station. I simply closed my eyes and pretended Mr. Clooney was up on stage. It almost worked.
My coworkers and I were rewarded for our hard work with a private dance recital from some slightly (read: very) intoxicated patrons throughout the concert. As ridiculous as some of those people looked, the happiness on their faces made me want to grab a bottle of wine and join in. I realized that it didn't matter that people were staring at them, or that they couldn't dance, or that they were a handful out of 3,500 people there. They were content to show their elation through (poor) dance, and probably had a better concert experience than every other person there sitting in a chair. They got me thinking: maybe we don't need to move with a purpose. Maybe, sometimes, just moving is enough. So move, people! Get up and dance! Walk! Run! Make a difference! You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment