Thursday, July 28, 2011

That's Camp Three Falls...

What an interesting summer this has been!

Arianna + Matt + Evan friendship bracelets!
2 summer school classes, 1 job at Camp Three Falls, and 1 week at home later, I'm ready for senior year to begin. After being affiliated with another Boy Scout Camp, Camp Whitsett, since 2007, I was surprised to find myself so captivated by Camp Three Falls. When you're living, working, and having fun with a group of people 24/7, bonds form that can't be found in any other environment. My short time at 3F felt more like months because the staff was so welcoming. Within minutes of setting foot on Staff Canyon I was welcomed into the 3F family and lovingly teased for wearing my 2008 Camp Whitsett Staff shirt and toting around my 2007 Camp Whitsett water bottle. What was I thinking?

"I'm a snake! I'm a Scoutcraft snake!"
I've heard time and time again from Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Scoutmasters that the staff at Camp Three Falls is one of the best, and I am thankful I was given the opportunity to see for myself. The dedication to teaching and mentoring, the enthusiasm (*slap, clap, snap*), and the genuine joy each staff member had was what made this staff different. I've made friends for years to come after this summer. If you're looking for a job working with AMAZING people, and making a difference in the lives of young Scouts, I encourage you to apply for Camp Three Falls 2012. If you like to fist pump to "Everytime We Touch", if you like to rock climb to "Separate Ways" as the staff serenades you, if you enjoy good old fashioned prank wars, if you like to "Turn It Off" and believe in "Hasa Diga Eebowai", if you've ever seen "a fucking mountain lion" or punched a car engine to turn a car on, if you enjoy late night boating, if you're a snake, or if you've ever felt "hungry" for Hungry Valley, then Camp Three Falls is for you.

"Everytime We Touch"
My first summer at Camp Three Falls may have been filled with some drama, but I wouldn't trade it for anything (not even another summer at Whitsett...sorry Whitsett Crazies). A year from now I'll be a college graduate (a Berkeley alum!) and don't know what the real world will hold in store for me, but I sure as hell plan on applying for Three Falls staff again. Congratulations Camp Three Falls staff- you've made an impression. I'll think of you every time I hear Cascada or see a snake. :)

The Fab 5: Erik + Steven + Corey + Matt + Arianna 

Camp Three Falls taught me:
*Do not take yourself too seriously.
*Don't be quick to judge- your opinions of people will change.
*Age is just a number- befriend both the young and the young at heart because both can turn out to be amazing friends.
*Running on 0 hours of sleep once in a while can be worth it, but doing it often is a terrible idea.
*No shirt can make Boy Scout shorts look good.
*Wear sandals or go barefoot more often- sock tans are hideous and should be avoided at all costs.
*Take risks- no matter the danger, the reward is worth it.
*Do not go off-roading in a Suburban.
*Everything is better with singing. 


"When the Staff starts singing,                                       "When Cowboy and Corey dance,
 Your ears start ringing.                                                     They heat up the Staff's pants.
 That's Camp Three Falls..."                                                That's Camp Three Falls..."




Remember to enjoy your summer and move with a purpose, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment